It's hard to present the gospel if you don't know how to start the conversation. What do you say, how do you start? Your initial goal is to break the ice, which does not have to be complex. Here are 3 simple ways to break the ice:
1. Comment on the weather.
Talking about the weather is a good neutral topic that everyone can discuss. Did a big storm just blow through? Are you in the middle of a cold front? Just look outside for some good conversation openers like:
- "Lovely day, don't you think?
- "Looks like rain is in the forecast."
- "Do you like this cold weather or do you prefer the heat?"
2. Comment on a current event.
Check out the news on any of the news stations, or search google news for current headlines and you can say something like:
- "I can't believe the damage that the storm had in_ _ _ _ _ _ _ ?
- "Did you see that on the news?"
3. Comment on Something Personal.
You'll find that everyone you meet has something unique about them—an item of jewelry, an unusual shirt, or even a tattoo. These tell a story about a person. When you notice and compliment them or ask a question about it, it can give you a starting point for conversation.
For example, you could initiate a conversation with a person by saying:
- "Wow that is a beautiful necklace, where did you get it?"
- “Is there a special meaning to the tattoo on your shoulder?”
Tattoos often have special meanings to people. Without condoning them, we can still take an interest in the person by asking about their meaning. You may be surprised by how naturally it opens the door for further conversation.